Some of the aircrew of the original "Memphis Belle", a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, visited Binbrook during the filming, and met the cast of the movie. After the war it was amongst others the home of the Central Fighter Establishment. In return the airfield received No.12 Sqn on the 24th September and No.101 Sqn in the October. RAF Binbrook was opened as a Bomber Command station in June 1940 during the Second World War home to No. The Special Duty Flight operated the Avro Lancaster. Operating the English Electric Canberra. English Electric Lightnings moved to Binbrook in 1965 with 5 Squadron, and 1972 with 11 Squadron. 5 and 11 were the last two RAF Lightning squadrons. The gap left by No.85 Sqn was soon filled, and in the March No.11 Sqn arrived bringing with them even more Lightnings. Operating the Avro Lincoln and later English Electric Canberra. 10 am to 5 pm daily (except Christmas Day), Get your ticket to visit: awm.gov.au/visit. Left squadron disbanded at the station in December 1987. The Squadron disbanded at the station on 1st February 1957. During this time they were credited with having delivered the highest bomb tonnage of any squadron within Bomber Command, a total of 24,000 imperial tons. AIR CREW PERSONNEL OF NO 460 SQUADRON ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE, BEING BRIEFED PRIOR TO AN OPERATIONAL FLIGHT OVER ENEMY TERRITORY, IN THE OPERATIONS ROOM AT THE ROYAL AIR FORCE STATION. The Control Tower and adjacent Fire Section were demolished in 1995. Work began in spring 1938 on the airfield, and before completion, the base had been allocated to 1 Group Bomber Command who had recently been reformed in June 1940. The old domestic site (married quarters) has been renamed to become the village of Brookenby. No. The Lightning Training Flight operated the English Electric Lightning. During this period of closure the RAF base at Binbrook was actually formed (25th March 1943), although the runways were still not completed. During the same month, the airfield also hosted a visit by both King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on the 27th May. The rest of the site appears to be in use as an industrial park. The following units were here at some point:, In 1989 RAF Binbrook alongside RAF Little Rissington served as the USAAF airbase for filming for the 1990 movie Memphis Belle.. The airfield was one of a string planned as part of Britain's rearmament programme. Due to the success of the “cookie” it wasn’t long before it became a standard payload for all heavy bombers in most of Bomber Command’s aircraft, if they were doing area attacks on German cities. But by November the same year, No.142 Sqn was flying its operational flights from Grimsby, due to Grimsby having paved runways which could cope with heavily laden bombers in almost any conditions. The 30th May 1942, saw the first mass operation during WWII, by Bomber Command containing over 1000 aircraft. Royal Air Force Station Binbrook or RAF Binbrook is a former Royal Air Force station. WD936 was assigned to No.101 Sqn, and by the end of the same year, the entire squadron had completed it’s conversion to the type. History shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia…. Operating the Fairey Battle and Vickers Wellington. "Robert Hanson, 85; Last Living Crewman of the Memphis Belle." For over a hundred years the Royal Air Force has defended the skies of Britain and projected Britain’s power and influence around the world. The AFDS was tasked with the development of fighter techniques and evaluating/advising on new fighter aircraft. The FCTU disbanded on 30th June 1967 in order to form the TFF later the same year. The squadron disbanded at Binbrook on 5th December 1955. But due to the airfield not being fully completed, both Squadrons were moved out the following month. The squadron also had the honour of testing another new weapon, the “Razzle”. . But by 1973 the days of the Lightning were numbered with the arrival of the SEPECAT Jaguar being brought in to service in the ground attack role. It wasn’t until the 25th May 1951 that the airfield would see any major change.  The airfield saw the start of the RAF's transition to jet bombers with the arrival of the first English Electric Canberras. As the volunteers of the Lightning Association continue their hard work on XR724 to keep her in running order. Station re-opened under the control of Fighter Command. RAF Binbrook was opened as a Bomber Command station in June 1940 during the Second World War and home to No. Left Binbrook on 26th July 1946. By the late 1970’s, RAF Binbrook had become the only active station with Lightnings. It also served as base for the last two RAF squadrons to employ the English Electric Lightning between 1965 and 1988. Operating the English Electric Canberra. By 1963 the jet age was in full swing at the station with No.85 Sqn taking up residence in May. The first known aircraft to land at what was to become RAF Binbrook, landed in 1918 in Orford Field. Places of Pride, the National Register of War Memorials, is a new initiative designed to record the locations and photographs of every publicly accessible memorial across Australia. The old domestic site (married quarters) has been renamed to become the village of Brookenby. not quite as good-looking as we were . , RAF Binbrook closed in 1942 for the installation of three concrete runways, reopening in 1943 as home to No. The sound of Lightning engines can still be heard today at the airfield. The Australian War Memorial was voted the number one landmark in Australia by travellers in the 2016 Trip Advisor awards. The TT Flight renumbered four days after standing up, to 1481 TT Flight. The squadron left the station on 2nd July 1959.